A company or partnership operating a website must provide information about itself on the site. This applies to any website, even those that do not have any e-commerce functionality. The information needs to be easy to find. Usually it is shown on a ‘contact us’ or ‘about us’ page. The information should include:
- Name of website operator (trading and registered names).
- Company registration number and place of registration.
- Physical address. This includes the registered office address, established address, and any address for the receipt of notices required by law.
- Communications address (postal address, email address and telephone number or other method of contacting by non-electronic means).
- VAT number, if applicable
- Name of any trade bodies, professional associations, or authorisation schemes that the business belongs to or is subject to. Including membership or registration details of the relevant authority.
A website should also contain the following policies:
A website should include terms which set out the foundation on which a website is provided and may be used.
Terms and conditions for sale/supply of good/services:
Terms should be appropriately drafted, reflect intended allocations of risk and liability, and comply with the applicable laws. Including, unfair terms and consumer protection legislation.
Intellectual property notice:
An intellectual property notice informs the public that the work is protected by copyright. It identifies the copyright owner and shows the year of first publication. A copyright notice can assist the owner if the work is infringed as it provides evidence of publication and can limit a claim of the defence of innocent infringement and provide evidence for the damages claim.
At Lawdit Stay legal we offer a one stop shop solution to get your website legally compliant. We will provide you with all the documents you need, tailored to your requirements. They will put legal safeguards in place to protect and assist if a dispute were to arise. With a free initial consultation there is no need to delay, so book today!